Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Leafninja.com Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Jiraiya; Sannin, Pervert Hermit...
Topic Started: May 3 2006, 08:22 AM (70,435 Views)
Shikamaru
Member Avatar
Paperwork Kage
[ *  *  *  * ]
Konoha Dossier

Name: Jiraiya

Posted Image

First Manga Appearance: Chapter 90
First Anime Appearance: Episode 52
Name Meaning: "Young thunder", A lead character in Japanese folk tale, married to "Tsunade"
Hidden Village: Leaf Village
Notable Features: One of the Legendary Three Ninjas, Former sensei of Fourth Hokage, Summons toads
Notable Quotes: "I'm not just a pervert, I'm a super pervert!"
Special Abilities: Rasengan, Sennin Mode

Stats:
(Post-timeskip 10 Point Scale)
Ninjutsu: 10
Taijutsu: 9
Genjutsu: 6
Intelligence: 9
Power: 9
Speed: 9
Stamina: 10
Seal Knowledge: 9
Total: 71

History:
The young man known as Jiraiya was selected to study as a Genin under Sandaime Hokage. More of a klutz than his teammates Orochimaru and Tsunade, Jiraiya was a bit jealous over their abilities. As Jiraiya grew his skills did as well, soon all three teammates were highly regarded for their skills. Jiraiya devoted himself to the village and to his friends.

As the years passed, Orochimaru dedicated himself to bizarre experiments. When Sandaime Hokage found out, Orochimaru fled. Jiraiya had a hard time believing the revelation and he took off after his friend to get him to return. They battled and Jiraiya returned to the village as a failure with his teammate gone for good. This colored his perceptions of priorities and he soon decided to leave Konoha behind.

Traveling the world he began to write a series of erotic novels, which gained him quite a bit of additional fame. In his travels he would often spy on women to get material for his books. Years passed and his travels took him back to Konoha to look upon its fine women. One such peeping session was interrupted by Ebisu and Naruto. Jiraiya took to Naruto seeing a bit of himself in the clueless wonder.

In the following weeks he would train Naruto to better use his chakra and how to summon toads. This would greatly help Naruto in his fights ahead. When Orochimaru launched an invasion of Konoha, Jiraiya did what he could to help but he did not make it in time to save the life of his former sensei Sandaime Hokage. With the village lacking a leader the Hokage advisors turned to Jiraiya. He declined but he and Naruto went and found Tsunade for them.

During this trip they battled Orochimaru once again and managed to convince Tsunade to return to the village as Kage. In the following weeks Uchiha Sasuke left the village to train with Orochimaru and Naruto gave chase. He returned after failing in his mission. Thinking of his own failure, Jiraiya told Naruto to give up but the young man refused.

Several months later Jiraiya and Naruto left the village to further his training and be better prepared to face Akatsuki. Jiraiya helped Naruto learn more about Genjutsu and also how to better use the Kyuubi chakra. In one such incident, Naruto was driven into a four-tailed Kyuubi state. He was nearly unstoppable but Jiraiya finally ended the wild destruction. Though he was given a huge scar on his chest for his troubles, Jiraiya chose not to tell Naruto what exactly happened, as the young man lost control of himself and his mind in that state. After two and a half years their training came to an end so they returned to Konoha.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shikamaru
Member Avatar
Paperwork Kage
[ *  *  *  * ]
The following topic should be used to discuss your thoughts on this individual. You may discuss his strengths and weaknesses, his personality and abilities and his latest missions in the field.

MisZxjesZx
Member Avatar
Itachi is awes0m3 XD
[ * ]
YEAH!!! Jiraiya Love his perverrty ness so funny :D

photon_shermie
Member Avatar
ribbons in her hair and spikes on her wrists
[ *  * ]
I personally like him as a character. Wine, women, and song (or writing at least), and the ability to summon frogs. On the exterior he's definitely the pervert sannin, but he becomes grave and serious when the situation calls for it.

Sir Hoshi
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really like Jiraiya. He's actually my favourite character in the series. It wouldn't be the same with him. I like everything about him. He's best bits is when he's either training Naruto or spying on women.

evon
Member Avatar
Kamehameha!
[ *  *  * ]
Jiraiya and Naruto bounce off each other really well, which makes the training episodes really funny. He's a great character and pretty cool, if perverted.

Tyriel
Member Avatar
Master of the Rasengan
[ *  *  * ]
When I first saw Jiraiya, I wasn't impressed... I was thinking this was another Master Roshi or the like, a perverted but somehow still talented trainer and mentor for the main character. Jiraiya and his silly antics did nothing to impress me...

... but as time went on, I realized that a good deal of his performance was just that... a performance. He's lost lots of good friends, his prize pupil (Yondaime), his best friend (Orochimaru), his first crush (Tsunade) and recently his mentor (Sarutobi) as well. It's no wonder he quit the ninja world to take up writing and spy on bathing women.

I'm glad he's become something of a fatherly/grandfatherly figure to Naruto and helped teach him more about his own power and techniques to utilize it. Particularily, his words to Orochimaru about why he picked Naruto really sell his character:

"It's no fun to train someone who's already perfect."

Taint
Member Avatar
Shota <3
[ * ]
I love the guy! I mean, the continuous perevrted part of him can get rather tedious, but I love it when he gets serious and makes a cool entrance. EG - when he came to save Naruto from itachi and kisame. I agee the story wouldn't be the same without him, def one of my fav chracters

Lady Morbus
Member Avatar
It's coming, whether you like it or not.
[ * ]
At last, Jiraiya has earned an ever so deserving appreciation thread. I'm shedding tears of joy. XD

Jiraiya has always been on my good side. The first time I had laid eyes upon him I knew he was special, and that I would love him even more before long. What do you know, I was right.

The fact that he has remained composed throughout the series baffles me, when his two other teammates have notably lost the Will of Fire (though Tsunade earned it back later on). Jiraiya remained the silly, stylish, protagonist who had a heart of iron and morality of steel (excluding his women obsession). He knows when to give in and when to keep going. He can see the strength in people, their true strength, and inform them that there's something there, driving their enthusiasm to become something grand. However, when there's no way out, he knows, and he'll tell you.

Funny, my grandfather was a whole lot like Jiraiya, perhaps the reason why I adore the hermit so much. Both were forgiving, determined, and gave others a chance, and when it was useless, they would make the best of it. Not to mention both were towering, strong men, and perverted. It's a shame my grandfather has passed away. I'm glad this character keeps my grandpa living, so to speak.

I look up to this character greatly, and I do hope he earns more spots in the future of Naruto.

Zetsu
Member Avatar
S-ranked Plant
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jiraiya did lose a lot of friends, but he didn't exactly give up the ninja world. I'm impressed that even though he's a perverted hermit, and left Konoha and became a writer and spied on women, he still mainly left Konoha to research on Akatsuki, where his "friend/rival" was at that time. Naruto represents Jiraiya and they both are very similar. And although he may seem perverted, he's actually quite wise.

Everest
Member Avatar
Ninja Academy Student
[ * ]
Personally, I really like Jiraiya as a character. He's really powerful and skilled, yet he's also very goofy and funny most of the time. He's definitely one of the best characters in the series...

Miyabi Nesuke
Member Avatar
Tobi's a BAD boy!
[ *  * ]
Yay, Jiraya! The ORIGINAL Ero-sennin. Never before has a pervert been so powerful.

Seriously, Jiraya's techniques kick butt.

eris_sama
Member Avatar
Raving Kakashi fangirl
[ *  *  * ]
Took me a while to like Jiraiya since I'm not fond of perverted characters, but he is quite funny and smarter than he first appears. I like that he didn't baby Naruto in teaching him the rasengan. I wish Kishimoto would write real versions of the Icha Icha series :ph43r:

tyrannosaurus
Member Avatar
Sannin
[ * ]
Yeah! I love the perverted charas in every manga! Jiraiya is the funniest, most individual and one of the strongest ninja in the whole series! i really like him! He's my favourite chara.!

Haruno Sakura
Member Avatar
Ninja Academy Student
[ * ]
I think he is a very interesting character! He is a funny guy with his OWN personality! He makes the whole series a whole lot...what's the word for it....more crazy! xD

Musicmaster
Member Avatar
Ninja Academy Student
[ * ]
Its always good to have a Joker!

Haruno Sakura
Member Avatar
Ninja Academy Student
[ * ]
Very true! They make the anime much more worth while! ^^

starvtwalker
Member Avatar
Ninja Academy Student
[ * ]
The thing that surpised me most about Jirayia was in the Tsunade Arc when he said something along the lines of "If you betray Konoha, I will kill you." He said it so matter-of-fact that I was taken aback at first. Basically, I love the fact that he is pretty much an older version of Naruto, he's sort of the hero in the shadows. While Orochimaru was getting all this praise from Sarutobi, same as Sasuke, Jirayia(Naruto) was steadily becoming the hero that people look to for support.

Tyriel
Member Avatar
Master of the Rasengan
[ *  *  * ]
starvtwalker
May 12 2006, 11:20 PM
The thing that surpised me most about Jirayia was in the Tsunade Arc when he said something along the lines of "If you betray Konoha, I will kill you." He said it so matter-of-fact that I was taken aback at first.

Like I said, kinda hard to tell how much of his performance is an act and how much of it is real. We know he's still a shinobi, capable of taking a life or making hard decisions if it comes down to it. But he's also a very friendly person, the sort of guy you like to hang out with.

the7k
Member Avatar
Follower of the Musubi Kotowari
[ * ]
I thought I already posted here; guess my net connection isn't the greatest in the world.

Naruto sure does get cool teachers, don'tcha think?

Jiraiya is a character I liked in the beginning, half because I'm a geek for mythology (Japanese or otherwise), and half because his character design was so very different from the rest of the cast.

I also like the perverted side of him (it rather reminds me of myself =P), and the fact that he's nowhere near as bland as Master Roshi. Jiraiya's funny and crazy and perverted, but make an enemy of him and a Rasengen to the face may be the last thing you ever see.

COPY NINJA
Member Avatar
ANBU
[ *  * ]
Do you think Jiraiya has taught Naruto any more frog techiques apart from the summoning of one? Who do you think taught Jiraiya how to summon frogs and how to use frog jutsus?

Sir Hoshi
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't think Jiraiya would teach Naruto anymore frog techniques because he's the frog hermit and feel threatened that Naruto would tak that crown. :lol: I'm not sure who would teach him, perhaps he had a family relation - fater relation thing.

Hanabi555
Member Avatar
Genin
[ *  * ]
Besides that, Naruto doesn't seem to be able to summon Gamabunta, because most of the time he gets the lesser two, the sons of Gamabunta. Jiraiya is such a funny, pervert man.LOL :P

gokutae
Suspended
[ * ]
Hanabi555
May 13 2006, 07:04 PM
Besides that, Naruto doesn't seem to be able to summon Gamabunta, because most of the time he gets the lesser two, the sons of Gamabunta. Jiraiya is such a funny, pervert man.LOL :P

Uh, what makes you say that? He summoned Gamabunta on a couple of occasions, so he is indeed able to, though he can only do it under severe circumstances.

Hanabi555
Member Avatar
Genin
[ *  * ]
Reread it, I said he doesn't seems to be able to because most of the time, when he uses the summon Gamabunta's sons show up, I didn't say that he was never able to summon him, but most of the time his sons show up :angry:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Character Appreciation Area · Next Topic »
Add Reply