Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Leafninja.com Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pokemon
Topic Started: Dec 16 2008, 11:33 PM (84,600 Views)
konoha's whitefang
Member Avatar
elite jounin
[ * ]
Hey i got pokemon and i was wandering if any one could help me with it
any info would be fine eg on catching the pokemon etc
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Wingy
Member Avatar
WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOORRRRRRRR~?
[ *  *  *  * ]
The newer games (Diamond and Pearl), are far more user-friendly, giving tutorials on catching pokemon. Either way, anyone who says anything about pressing A repeatedly, down select A, etc. is wrong. Basically, if lowering their health doesn't work, lower it more. If you can't lower it more without killing them, try paralyzing them or putting them to sleep.

Also, for Diamond and Pearl, realize the number of fire-types is painfully limited. To deal with those weak against fire, either use TMs, or start liking Infernape and Rapidash.

Ushi-U-Saru
Member Avatar
Am I kawaii, onii-chan? Uguu~
[ *  *  *  * ]
Highwind
Dec 17 2008, 11:08 AM
anyone who says anything about pressing A repeatedly, down select A, etc. is wrong.
Lies! LIES!

One thing I recommend: read up on natures. It's the least advanced method to raising superior Pokémon. Certain stats are expendable on certain Pokémon while others are detrimental. Read which natures raise and lower which stats, then go and catch Pokémon with appropriate natures. It takes some time to get acceptable natures sometimes, but again it's a basic way to make stronger Pokémon.

Angel-of-Sorrow
Member Avatar
I appear to have burst into flames.
[ *  * ]

Best suggestion you can get.
Just play. Play and have fun. When you start getting into IV's, EV'S and nature breeding, you lose a part of your life that you will never get back. Run Whitefang, run as if your life depended on it!
Edited by Angel-of-Sorrow, Dec 17 2008, 06:55 PM.

horyo
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Agggghhh EV headaches!!
I'd say just start with elemental advantages in the beginning, then work on leveling as the most basic strategy for single-player gaming. EV training is going to be tough, but if you want to teach pokemon TM moves, make sure it's male, just in case you want to pass it on to a better-stat offspring.

But yea, or if you want detailed help just go to those FAQ sites.

Wingy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Anybody who starts bringing up Pokemon "Tiers", ignore. If you want to play with a Spinda and Luvdisc, then goddammit do so.

horyo
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Highwind
Dec 17 2008, 07:43 PM
Anybody who starts bringing up Pokemon "Tiers", ignore. If you want to play with a Spinda and Luvdisc, then goddammit do so.
Yay! Someone who understands that any Pokemon can be great (though I avoid legendaries because they don't make me feel unique :/ )

Lunacy Divine
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have but one thing to say about these games: HOLY s*** am I glad I finally got the National Dex upgrade.

I've had Diamond for about a month now, looking forward to Platinum.

Wingy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ugh, that's always a pain. I restarted my file a while back, and haven't touched it since. Think I left off right before you go to Spear Pillar, simply because I was sick of the grinding. Same reason I've put down Earthbound again for now.

ryukitsune
Member Avatar
Master of Logical Coolness
[ *  *  *  * ]
First time you start a game, Just play through for fun. It helps you learn the basics and where things are. It's the second game you start that you focus on EV and Natures (I rally don't care about IVs). It's much easier since you already know whats coming.

Or you could just get the guide.

P.S. Using a Pokesav would make everything real easy.

Angel-of-Sorrow
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]

IV'S are more important than EV's.

ryukitsune
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Angel-of-Sorrow
Dec 18 2008, 03:54 PM

IV'S are more important than EV's.
Well, I meant with EVs you can control and manipulate them but IVs are harder to control and you can't really change them to your liking without cheating.

Wingy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
ryukitsune
Dec 18 2008, 03:46 PM
Your mileage may vary on that. Yes, it's easy, but that sort of kills the fun of the game. You run through the main story, and then basically are "GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!!!" and doing multiplayer. That's the main reason I stopped; I was bored of just re-breeding my Gallade and getting raped by Angel's Wailrien.

the kraken
Member Avatar
Chuunin
[ *  *  * ]
i've been playing these games for quite a while and i don't even know what those EV's and IV's are. what are they?

ryukitsune
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Highwind
Dec 18 2008, 04:27 PM
ryukitsune
Dec 18 2008, 03:46 PM
Your mileage may vary on that. Yes, it's easy, but that sort of kills the fun of the game. You run through the main story, and then basically are "GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!!!" and doing multiplayer. That's the main reason I stopped; I was bored of just re-breeding my Gallade and getting raped by Angel's Wailrien.
Well, Sorry but I don't have the time or patience to train contest pokemon. A Pokesav is much easier then running around keeping berries watered and whatever else needs to be done.

@The Kraken: IVs are the individual values that govern a pokemon's stats and EVs are the effort values - Defeating one pokemon gives you a certain number of effort points that goes to one of your pokemon's stats.

blease
Member Avatar
Nothing has changed.
[ *  *  *  * ]
Highwind
Dec 18 2008, 04:27 PM
I was bored of just re-breeding my Gallade and getting raped by Angel's Wailrien.
I hate that Walrein ;_;
I stopped because my DS has fallen out of existence and I refuse to believe that I lost it.

Personally, I never got into IV or EV training until the end of my run, and I only did EV training. Mostly on my Slaking. Such a stupid pokemon...I love it.

Wasp
Chuunin
[ *  *  * ]
Angel-of-Sorrow
Dec 17 2008, 06:55 PM

Best suggestion you can get.
Just play. Play and have fun. When you start getting into IV's, EV'S and nature breeding, you lose a part of your life that you will never get back. Run Whitefang, run as if your life depended on it!
I agree. Just have fun with it. I am really organized with my Pokémon Pearl game and I catch some and put them into parties of 6. I train them so that they are all on the same levels, at the same time. It may be too organized for you, but it works for me. I have a bunch of lv 50 pokemon in my Emerald cuz of that. Keeping your pokémon on close levels is a good idea because when you have to fight the elite, you have many strong pokémon, not just one or two. Also, make sure your teams comsist of a variety of types. I find that a good basic one would be: fire, water, electric, flying, grass, and normal. Having a varitety can cover up weak spots. Btw, what is your starter pokémon? Also, a good tip would be to use the pokéballs that work best for the types of pokémon you are trying to catch. use a regular pokéball on weak pokémon, great balls on moderately strong ones (pokemon higher than 20 work well), and ultra balls on strong ones (usually anything higher than lv 30). There are a few other types of pokéballs, but those are basics. Have fun, and good luck.

Angel-of-Sorrow
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]

I don't know anyone who likes my Walrein. lol

Wasp
Chuunin
[ *  *  * ]
I like Walreins. Why doens't anyone like it? I think it's a cool water pokémon. Water pokémon are awesome cuz they can be very useful against a number of types. I used to have a Walrein in sapphire, then I accidentally restarted my game. Whoops. I like Kingdra a lot... one of my fave water pokémon. What's your favorite pokémon? I like a lot of Johto ones. I don't have one in specific that's my favorite, it changes around a lot.

Koby
Genin
[ *  * ]
Bah. Damn kids with your Diamonds an' Pearls. In my day, we only had 150 Pokemon, an' we were grateful!

Where'd I put my Leaf Green, anyway?

blease
Member Avatar
Nothing has changed.
[ *  *  *  * ]
white crescent1
Dec 18 2008, 09:12 PM
I like Walreins. Why doens't anyone like it? I think it's a cool water pokémon.
You have obviously never experienced the pain that is Angel's Walrein.

Wingy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Imagine you are fighting Hitler. Only, Hitler is in a giant battle Mecha. He repeatedly smashes you to bits, and if you do actually get damage on him, he laughs it off and kills you while laughing. Even if you kill Hitler, he's destroyed over half of your team anyways.

or, ask Angel nicely to give you his friend code, and let him have his Walrein sodomize your team to prove our point.

Also, my favorite of the original 150 would be Mr. Mime, of the Johto Phanpy, Hoenn Blaziken, and Sinnoh Gallade.

Angel-of-Sorrow
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
white crescent1
Why doens't anyone like it?

Because they couldn't beat it.

Kartoon-Man
Member Avatar
Gomu Gomu No
[ *  *  *  * ]
blease
Dec 18 2008, 09:34 PM
white crescent1
I like Walreins. Why doens't anyone like it? I think it's a cool water pokémon.
You have obviously never experienced the pain that is Angel's Walrein.
I have experienced the Pain that is Glacia's walrein in Sapphire and ruby.

I've been wanting to defeat both diamond and pearl but the thing is I don't have a DS. lol

All pokemon I ever played were on GBA advance Emulators for PC. Back then (last year or so) it had no emulators that supported the DS roms. So if anyone knows if such a thing is out as yet, feel free to holla. I'll find it if it's out there.

Quote:

Bah. Damn kids with your Diamonds an' Pearls. In my day, we only had 150 Pokemon, an' we were grateful!
That sounds like a facebook group I joined. lol.

Angel-of-Sorrow
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
cartoon-man
Dec 18 2008, 11:07 PM
I have experienced the Pain that is Glacia's walrein in Sapphire and ruby.

Glacia wishes she knew how to train a Walrein.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply