Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Leafninja.com Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dragon Ball Thread; DB, DBZ, DBGT and other spinoff stories
Topic Started: Aug 14 2011, 01:30 AM (2,641 Views)
Salamanca
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
So has anyone been following the mini series of Dragonball? from SD that summarizes all major arcs, Chapter one is about Goku and Kiri training together, Chapter two is about the Freeza arc and the latest one is about Cell. I really enjoy it, it's a great throwback from watching the anime as a little kid.

As for Dragonball- Episode of Bardock (chapter 1 and 2 has been released out of 3)

My review
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

vectorsigma
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
is this manga or anime? im confused

Salamanca
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's Manga. the SD series is once a month i think the Bardock series is 3 chapters one shot type of thing.

Mangekyou Sharingan
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't even know of the existence of Dragon Ball - Episode of Bardock or Dragon Ball SD until quite recently.

When it comes to SD I have only read Dragon Ball SD 3, which is the latest one about the Cell Saga. One thing that I liked about this was how it was all in color. I thought that was nice. Another thing I liked was how it brought back memories to when I used to watch the series.

Something that I didn't like about this though was how the actual story was told. What I mean is the major differences between what happens in this SD manga and what happened in the actual storyline. For example: Gohan fighting Cell first during the Cell Game, Gohan instantly going Super Saiya-jin 2 in the fight and Cell coughing up both Android 18 and Android 17 when Gohan punches him in the stomach. It makes me wonder if the other two chapters are like this.

I have read both chapters of Dragon Ball - Episode of Bardock. I like the focus on Bardock since he's a more serious character compared to Goku. This story definitely gives off a Freeza Saga feel with Chilled and his henchmen picking on the inhabitants of Planet Plant. The character Berry also sort of reminds me of Dende for some reason. I happen to agree with your prediction Salamanca. In the end if that turns out to be the case I would find it to be very ironic.

dragonblade
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah I've read both chapters also and even though Bardock is suppose to be mean like a typical Sayian it's still weird to see someone who looks like Goku act so differently. Regardless, I think it's still pretty cool that we are following someone else and I think it's been pretty good so far. I think you prediction Salamanca actually might happen because that sounds pretty plausible.

Also in regards to the Cell one it was pretty nice to see that last fight turn out a little differently.

Ryuuske Minami
Member Avatar
Eternally Genin
[ *  *  * ]
Good prediction Salamanca. #rd bar dock chapter is out and you were right about the 1st super saiyan thing.

Time travel arcs always confuse me since my thinking drives me in a perpetual loop. Anyway, the mini series is okay enough.

Mangekyou Sharingan
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Episode of Bardock 3:

Indeed a nice job on the prediction! Bardock's transformation into a Super Saiya-jin was by far my favorite part of the chapter. In my opinion his feelings and rage at the time definitely fit the requirements for such a transformation.

Chilled trying to blow Planet Plant up after feeling overwhelmed by Bardock made me think back to Freeza trying to do the same thing against Goku. In this case I am glad that Bardock was able to prevent the blast from making contact with the planet. I didn't want to see a repeat of "Five minutes until Planet Namek blows up!"

The scene with Chilled being recovered by his henchmen also made me think of Freeza's father doing the same to him after his defeat, granted Freeza was in far worse shape. I was surprised that Chilled ended up dying but in the end his message still got passed on and it definitely explains Freeza's fear of the legendary Super Saiya-jin. Overall this mini series was an enjoyable read.

vectorsigma
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
this is going to be animated:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-21/dragon-ball-episode-of-bardock-spinoff-manga-gets-anime

it's good to see a NEW DB anime in this time of the internet

Twilight_Ninja
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Didn't notice this before.

Hmm. Interesting.

It was a nice though small story, which makes me think it'll be an OVA.

Mangekyou Sharingan
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dragon Ball SD 4:

Like after reading Dragon Ball SD 3 I once again found myself enjoying the colorful images and the fond memories of one of the first anime series I followed. With that said I was a bit disappointed after reading this installment. First off I didn't like how they jumped right from Fat Buu to the small child sized Buu. Although with the limited amount of panels I can understand why they did this.

Speaking of limited amount of panels this brings me to the amount of time dedicated to Mr Satan. In my opinion there was too much focus on him. I know that he played a role in this particular saga but I feel like too many panels were wasted on him. I mean important things like fusion and Super Saiya-jin Three were not even included. Instead we see Mr Satan acting like a fool. Then there is the fact that there was no sign of a teenage version of Gohan. The only time we see him is in one of the first panels and that's how he looked back during the Cell Saga, not the Majin Buu Saga.

Dragon Ball SD 5:

Wow, I didn't know this would be covering Dragon Ball as well. This is great because I have only seen the original Dragon Ball a few times. That isn't much compared to the number of times I have seen Dragon Ball Z. Besides the fact that this is in color I also enjoyed the Vegeta cameo when Bulma made mention of wishing for a prince charming. Though with that said I wonder if he should have been drawn a little younger considering this takes place in Dragon Ball's timeline. I thought the other Dragon Ball Z reference was another positive. I speak of the scene they showed from the Majin Buu Saga while Bulma and Roushi made mention of Goku being a pervert once he gets older.

Lunacy Divine
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Saw Battle of Gods in theaters last weekend, and I have to admit that it's probably the best film in the entire franchise, if not even better than most of DBZ as a whole in many regards. I feel like this is because the film managed to break so many of the same repetitive conventions that made DBZ itself such a stale series and replaced them with story elements that were arguably much more refreshing and exciting:

• Classic DB-style humor: This is probably the biggest one for me. The original Dragon Ball was largely superior to its Z counterpart because it never took itself too seriously and frequently balanced out its darker moments with light-hearted comedy elements (even if that comedy was occasionally a little too juvenile). Those attributes were commonly incorporated into the fights to give them a sense of variety, and the same holds true for Battle of Gods. From witnessing more mischief by Emperor Pilaf and his crew to seeing Vegeta momentarily surpass Goku from watching his wife get slapped, the entire movie is filled to the brim with comedic moments at every turn. It essentially feels like a classic DB film, only with DBZ characters, and I think it retains a lot of the original charm that made Akira Toriyama's signature manga so great before its quality began to decline.

• Interesting antagonist: Most people can agree that most if not all of DBZ's antagonists suffer from being one-dimensional characters, their motivations encompassing little more than a desire to conquer the universe or destroy it merely for the sake of doing so. Beerus displays a large variety of emotions and is arguably the first villain in the series to represent a little more than "evil because I said so" - as the God of Destruction, his purpose entails destroying various planets and worlds to keep the universe in balance as the Gods of Creation manifest new ones. I think he's definitely one of the more intriguing antagonists and I really enjoyed his changing rivalry dynamic with Goku throughout the film.

• Balanced main fight: Another problem most of DBZ's fights suffer from is that they're almost never very balanced, with the vast majority of battles consisting of the heroes being at a dramatic disadvantage for most of the fight's duration until one of them (typically Goku) powers up or uses a specific technique to put the opponent himself at an extreme disadvantage. It's not particularly exciting because it never depicts a constant struggle between the protagonist and antagonist, eventually culminating at a point where everyone can predict the nature of every subsequent conflict because they're all so one-sided. The battle between Goku and Beerus manages to turn this trope on its head after Super Saiyan God is finally attained, showcasing a fight where both characters trade blows pretty evenly until the end of the film. Beerus is still somewhat stronger than Goku, but I feel like that's also what makes this conflict in particular a refreshing change of pace from old ones; his dignity as the "God of Destruction" remains intact after the ending, with Goku being offered a position as Beerus' successor to cement their closeness in strength.

• Super Saiyan God's theme and design: A lot of fans didn't approve of the Super Saiyan God design because it wasn't a bulkier and more ridiculous form of past Super Saiyan transformations - for me, this is exactly why this transformation succeeds so well thematically. Its appearance is simple and elegant and manages to contrast dramatically with Super Saiyan 1-3, which I feel is precisely what portrays it to be on a different realm entirely than those forms. This is actually reflected in the film when Goku mentions that he could never reach the transformation on his own, basically confirming that if Super Saiyan 4 were to exist canonically at all, it still wouldn't be as powerful as this specific form. It's a very sleek, almost deity-like design overall and to be entirely honest I think it actually looks superior to any of the other Super Saiyan transformations (mainly because it isn't so absurd-looking, but also because I like its color scheme and thin body structure).

This is actually only a small handful of qualities I liked out of many. Needless to say, I enjoyed the movie a great deal and would definitely recommend it to anyone who is even a casual fan of the series.

BHM1250
Member Avatar
Chuunin
[ *  *  * ]
I can't say I have the same opinion of the movie, but I respect your opinion overall. Yet, there is some aspects you pointed out I disagree with.

Lunacy Divine

Balanced main fight: Another problem most of DBZ's fights suffer from is that they're almost never very balanced, with the vast majority of battles consisting of the heroes being at a dramatic disadvantage for most of the fight's duration until one of them (typically Goku) powers up or uses a specific technique to put the opponent himself at an extreme disadvantage. It's not particularly exciting because it never depicts a constant struggle between the protagonist and antagonist, eventually culminating at a point where everyone can predict the nature of every subsequent conflict. The battle between Goku and Beerus manages to turn this trope on its head after Super Saiyan God is finally attained, showcasing a fight where both characters trade blows pretty evenly until the end of the film. Beerus is still somewhat stronger than Goku, but I feel like that's also what makes this conflict in particular a refreshing change of pace from old ones; his dignity as the "God of Destruction" remains intact after the ending, with Goku being offered a position as Beerus' successor to cement their closeness in strength.

Somewhat untrue. Even though more the half of the DBZ Movies(especially the pro-Cell era and Majin Buu+ Era) had one-sided fights with an expected outcome, there has been a fair share of movies that had down fight scenes throughout the movie quite well.

One example of this is Lord Slug. The movie starts off with a well animated fight scene of Gohan, Chi-Chi, and Piccolo facing Slug's henchmen. Yes I know that most DBZ movies have a formula of the main villain's henchmen utterly destroying all non-Goku protagonists in combat, but they were going toe-to-toe with these henchmen for a couple of minutes. Yes, they were saved by Goku in the end, but unlike most henchman battles it wasn't one-sided. Lord Slug does transform in the movie, but Slug was able to defeat Goku without transforming. Speaking of which, Goku used pseudo-Super Saiyan form within the movie when Super Saiyan was not even out in the anime. Unlike Super Saiyan God, which the franchise used it as it's main marketing gimmick and talk about the transformation through the entire movie to the point it was played out, the false Super Saiyan came out as a surprise to whoever watched it. Plus, the even though the transformation was the most memorable aspect of the movie, it didn't end with Goku defeating him in that form. On top of that, it was one of the few movies that made the Dragon Balls relevant.

Lunacy Divine

Super Saiyan God's theme and design: A lot of fans didn't approve of the Super Saiyan God design because it wasn't a bulkier and more ridiculous form of past Super Saiyan transformations - for me, this is exactly why this transformation succeeds so well thematically. Its appearance is simple and elegant and manages to contrast dramatically with Super Saiyan 1-3, which I feel is precisely what portrays it to be on a different realm entirely than those forms. This is actually reflected in the film when Goku mentions that he could never reach the transformation on his own, basically confirming that if Super Saiyan 4 was to exist canonically at all, it still wouldn't be as powerful as this specific form. It's a very sleek, almost deity-like design overall and to be entirely honest I think it actually looks superior to any of the other Super Saiyan transformations (mainly because it isn't so absurd-looking, but also because I like its color scheme and thin body structure).

Honestly, I never heard anyone rip on the transformation aside from people who said it looked way too similar to Kaioken, but I agree that the appearance wasn't overdone. Although, the idea of it's activation was silly and ironically done twice. One officially by GT where Goku had newer generation saiyans hold hands to transfer power to regain his transformation. And again unofficially, with Toyble's Dragon Ball AF, which is the most popular fanmanga(or fan-DBZ anything) worldwide which done the exact same 'needing x amount of saiyans together to transform Goku' plot years ago. It was also done better for 3 points.

First point is they needed 7 super saiyans to signify the seven dragon balls to become a Super Saiyan 5 while Shenron stated they needed five righteous saiyans holding hands for it to work and they 'just so happened' to ironically have 5 happy-go-lucky saiyans with them. Pan wasn't even born yet, so I don't see how the universe could decide whether she'll end up righteous or not.

The second and third points were they had a time limit upon doing so while gathering enough Super Saiyans to help Goku with the activation. While during the time limit, they had to figure out how to tame their 7th, Broly, upon fighting for their side against following his initial nature. While Goku's God Form was basically given to him like a Christmas present. It made Goku's off-screen training into unlocking Super Saiyan 3 actually look worthwhile. Beerus gave Goku full freedom to transform just so he could have a challenge upon fighting him.

In fact, the entire movie was just about some purple Bugs Bunny lookalike coming to Earth to find this potential Super Saiyan God. Yes, their fight scene was fluently animated and lasted for a good length and the fact Goku didn't exactly win it was expected that Beerus was going to respect Goku in the end and not blow up the planet. Honestly, the fact he wanted to destroy Earth if he didn't see the form is arguably a forced conflict.

Lunacy Divine
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
BHM1250
Aug 15 2014, 06:24 PM
Somewhat untrue. Even though more the half of the DBZ Movies(especially the pro-Cell era and Majin Buu+ Era) had one-sided fights with an expected outcome, there has been a fair share of movies that had down fight scenes throughout the movie quite well.

I don't deny that there are exceptions to the formula, which is why I've used phrases like "most" and "vast majority". The harsh truth of the matter is that most sagas and movies in the series were filled to the brim with battles like this - Frieza, Cell, and Majin Buu are often considered the most significant antagonists in DBZ, and nearly every fight that involved them was massively one-sided in one way or another (with the exception of the short-lived SS3 Goku vs. Kid Buu, but even this suffered from instances where a single technique was all it took to obliterate the enemy entirely). Toriyama arguably lost his touch about portraying that kind of tension in a fight, at least until now.

Lord Slug is actually one of the few films to implement a truly two-sided conflict for the most part, but I wasn't really a fan of the movie's plot and felt that it still fell flat in several areas. To again emphasize my problem with many of the franchise's villains, Slug's personality boils down to little more than a one-dimensional maniac who wants to conquer planets because he's bad. The story in its entirety - like almost every DBZ movie - was much too thematically dark to appropriately capture the feel of the series, and unlike Super Saiyan God (which the entire plot of Battle of Gods revolved around) Goku's false Super Saiyan form didn't have a lot of relevance to the movie and just felt incredibly tacked-on. My favorite film was formerly Fusion Reborn because it included a lot of the same humorous qualities that the original Dragon Ball embodied on top of containing a bunch of really weird historical references and other elements that worked well, but that movie also took an opposite turn where it suffered very severely from one-sided fights. I think it's safe to conclude that no film has managed to maintain a perfect balance of these attributes until BoG, and while it's definitely true that the Super Saiyan God form was heavily marketed, I don't really consider this a drawback; no one was forced to actively keep up with news relating to the film on the internet, so if they chose to do this then there's absolutely no reason they should ever expect to be overly surprised.

BHM1250

In fact, the entire movie was just about some purple Bugs Bunny lookalike coming to Earth to find this potential Super Saiyan God. Yes, their fight scene was fluently animated and lasted for a good length and the fact Goku didn't exactly win it was expected that Beerus was going to respect Goku in the end and not blow up the planet. Honestly, the fact he wanted to destroy Earth if he didn't see the form is arguably a forced conflict.

While I agree that the means to achieving Super Saiyan God was a little contrived (though ultimately negligible in the grand scheme of things), I have to disagree that the point of Beerus' arrival somehow detracts from the plot of the movie - to be perfectly honest, I believe it's one of the film's many strengths. Beerus is established from the beginning to be a god above gods who is galaxies stronger than any opponent he's ever faced aside from Whis, so it makes perfect sense that he would go to great lengths to ease his boredom and attempt to fight someone he perceives to be formidable. If anything, Dragon Ball's "forced" conflicts are among its most engaging aspects because they're more direct and represent characters who strive to face a greater challenge rather than simply take over the world or other such overused cliches that mask the entire point of watching a well-structured fight in the first place. They don't beat around the bush with a particular character's motivations and personality traits, and I appreciate that.

The flaws of this movie were minor enough to be overlooked in my opinion, and I definitely feel like it's a brilliant showing that represents a fantastic direction for the series in general. I can only hope that the 2015 film embraces similar themes, or at least themes that mark another departure from typical DBZ flaws while still upholding the overall spirit of Dragon Ball.

Mangekyou Sharingan
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen Battle of Gods yet but I have watched all of the various clips that were released leading up to the Japanese premiere and English Dub premiere.

According to Anime News Network Akira Toriyama was quoted as saying that the 2015 film will have more action scenes and the story will be "utterly funny." Hopefully this means that this film will also have the classic Dragon Ball humor you referred to. Also, like with Battle of Gods Toriyama intends to write the new story as if it were a continuation of the manga's original serialization. Things sound promising so far.

In my opinion this is a good period for the Dragon Ball franchise. Battle of Gods was successful, there's a new film coming out in 2015 and Dragon Ball Kai is showing the Majin Buu Saga. Originally they had stopped with the conclusion of the Cell Saga. Oh and if I remember correctly Dragon Ball Kai is set to air on Adult Swim in the fall.

Naruto no Kitsune
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Apparently Dragon Ball Super is ending in March, that's very devastating news. Perhaps the death of Bulma's Japanese voice actress has something to do with it. Or maybe since the manga is still set before the tournament of power they need time to let the manga get ahead (especially since it's monthly). I really hope it's not canelled and is simply delayed. I've had my criticisms but I always love watching Goku and the others in action. Perhaps if they saved the Tournament of Power for the end of the series it would have had a longer life.

I didn't watch the anime versions of Battle of Gods or Resurrection F but I enjoyed reading and watching the Goku Black arc and I feel that afterwards there would have been a perfect place for an inter-universal arc in which the other universes are explored by the cast in order to find the Super Dragon Balls to restore Trunk's future an the rest of the damaged caused by Goku Black. This would have been a GREAT way to introduce many Tournament of Power characters each with their own motivations for finding the Super Dragonballs and then when all are found, Zeno and the Great Wizard appear and announce the Tournament of power to prevent Inter-universal war. It would have been much better than Namek since they could change location from time to time and give lots of characters screen time before the tournament.

Mangekyou Sharingan
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am also disappointed and saddened to hear this news. Although I am not sure if it's ending for good or just going on hiatus. From what I have heard the ratings have been doing quite well and the series is very popular. It wouldn't make much sense from a marketing standpoint to just end the series.

I said the word "hiatus" because there is supposed to be a new movie coming out this year. So perhaps they will focus all of their attention on that. The movie is supposed to be about the origin of the Saiyans power. That's all the details we have right now. Many fans are hoping this will have something to do with Goku and Vegeta going to Planet Sadala. That has been teased since the Universe 6 Tournament arc and even more so during the Tournament of Power.

Naruto no Kitsune
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I nearly did forget about that movie, thanks!

I hope it goes on hiatus as well, a person on another forum I frequent expressed his disappointment with the series. It seems as if not having Kid Buu as the end all for Dragon Ball has really downplayed Uub's importance and I couldn't help but agree. Uub is obviously much much weaker than many of the characters in Super and it takes away from Goku wanting another challenge. I believe that the Tournament of Power should have been, along with the Goku Black arc and perhaps even the Freeza and Beerus arc set After the end of DBZ. They should have had other arcs during the 10 year time skip (set after the defeat of Kid Buu and the final scene of DBZ).

crazymag
Ninja Academy Student
[ * ]
I have a colleague who's addicted to Goku, like her room is filled with Dragon Ball toys even her bed sheet, pillow, and blanket. She even claims that she's engaged with Goku and what's creeping me out is that she told her baby girl that her father is Goku.

As for your question yes I do enjoy watching Dragon Ball Z with my cousins.

Naruto no Kitsune
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Interesting...I never met someone that addicted to anime in real life but from the videos I've seen it's not too surprising.

That's cool, do you watch Super as well?

I really wish Trunks had been in the Tournament of Power. Goku even lampshades it in the manga. He could have had the motivation of wanting to restore his timeline with the Super Dragonballs. Heck that could have been the reason for an entire arc around the Super Dragonballs before the T.O.P.

Mangekyou Sharingan
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree that it would have been cool to see Future Trunks in the Tournament of Power. I know a lot of fans would have preferred to see him on the team over Master Roshi or Tien. I guess in this scenario he would have taken the spot currently filled in by Frieza. Depending on who you ask that might have meant an overload of Saiyans in the tournament. Universe 7 would have four (Vegeta, Goku, Gohan and Future Trunks) and Universe 6 would have three (Cabba, Kale and Caulifa).

Going back to my "hiatus" comment from earlier the more I hear the more I feel like that was more wishful thinking on my part. Not even Toei seems to know what they are going to do after the new movie. Maybe they are going to wait and see how the movie performs.

If they do continue with Super or do a completely new series there are some options for storylines. Besides the Planet Sadala idea they could do an arc on either Universe 1, Universe 12, Universe 5 or Universe 8. Those are the four universes not taking part in the Tournament of Power so we know nothing about them.

I also wouldn't mind seeing an arc about one of the angels going rogue. We have already seen an arc about an evil Kai with Zamasu and Goku Black so this would be a step above that. From what has been implied an angels' power is above that of even a God of Destruction so they should pose enough of a threat for an Ultra Instinct powered Goku. If I remember correctly the angel from Universe 9 looked kind of shady at the beginning of this arc. There have also been fan theories about the Grand Priest being evil but there has been nothing to support those theories.

Naruto no Kitsune
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like the idea of Rogue Angels, perhaps the angels from the other 6 universes that were destroyed (if the angels themselves are still alive) could make appearances. Maybe they could wish for Zeno to vanish or something after using the tournament as a distraction. Lots of people are hoping that there is a twist to this tournament.

This reminds me of Pokemon X and Y when we didn't get a sequel/remake and instead received Pokemon Sun and Moon. People, including myself were going nuts over Pokemon Z and whether or not it would be released mid year. My hope is that they are simply taking a break to allow the manga to get further ahead since the tournament is nearly over in the anime but hasn't even started in the manga. I think the anime started WAY too early. I love Super but they should have just kept using movies for the first couple of years to extend the time for the manga to get a foothold.

An Inter-universal threat would have been a great idea too...at least before the Tournament of Power. I just think it came too early. Because what could be more threatening than having your whole universe erased. he worst part is that we can't feel too much sympathy for the other characters since many were only introduced during the tournament. I hope the manga does a better job.

I do like the idea of an evil Zeno appearing...seriously I don't understand Dragon Ball's definition of "Pure". Too me, A pure hearted person wouldn't erased trillions of lives from existence... Maybe a better term would have been naive or neutral. The only arc I can see after this would be an arc to remove Zeno from his position of power. I guess the Super Dragonballs should be A LOT easier to find this time around since there are less universes.

I see your point about the saiyans. People have been annoyed about how much the series has sidelined non-saiyan characters for years now. I can't say I disagree. After re-watching Dragon Ball and the Saiyan saga, I realized how much I missed seeing some of the human characters in action. Tien Shin Han was a BEAST during his tournament appearance and I loved how he one-shotted a Saibaman. Yamcha suffered from the "Worf Effect" for years but it actually worked in the old days...a little too well. Seeing humans able to keep up with Goku and stay relevant was a good experience. With all the technology on Earth and the fact that they actaully TRAIN, you would think the humans would be able to keep up with at least SOME aliens. I mean if Gohan being a hybrid saiyan/human gave him so much potential, why on Earth can't pure humans have at least half of that potential? Wouldn't having humans be special make sense for why Gohan is so gifted?

lol, sorry started to rant there. I was referring to your Future Trunks comment right? hehehe

I love Master Roshi but yeah I think he should have been replaced by either Future Trunks or Yamcha. I was looking forward to seeing Yamcha fight again and I was complaining to my coworker about how annoying it was that he wasn't coming. Buu's regeneration is too OP so I don't blame them for not putting him in (seriously, he can regenerate from his blown apart body and smoking ashes...lol). But I love Yamcha's Spirit Ball and Wolf Fang Fist.

Hopefully they find their new direction after this movie comes out. And PLEASE give the saiyans tails!

Mangekyou Sharingan
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Naruto no Kitsune

I guess the Super Dragonballs should be A LOT easier to find this time around since there are less universes.
I thought the Super Dragon Balls were only scattered throughout Universes 6 and 7. That is at least what Zuno-sama (the alien who knows like everything) said. Beerus got angry at Champa once he learned Champa was sneaking into his universe to collect them. I guess it could have just been a coincidence that they were in those two universes at the time, meaning perhaps they can scatter out to the other universes once the wish is granted.

Naruto no Kitsune

Buu's regeneration is too OP so I don't blame them for not putting him in (seriously, he can regenerate from his blown apart body and smoking ashes...lol).
That might not have mattered in the Tournament of Power. Killing isn't allowed and knocking someone unconscious doesn't mean anything if they are still in the ring. Attacking someone like Botamo didn't have any effect but he was still able to get knocked out of the ring during the Tournament of Power.

I actually heard of some fans being disappointed that Buu wouldn't take part in the tournament. Their reason was that he hasn't fought a whole lot in Dragon Ball Super. He did have that scuffle with Beerus at the beginning of the series and that spar session with Goku during the recruitment part for the Tournament of Power. Then there was his fight during the Zen Exhibition Match so that's three times total.

I get what you are saying about normal humans taking a back seat to Saiyans and other powerful races. Many fans feel the same way. I think that might be why characters like Krillin and Master Roshi were included in the tournament. It was to show that brute strength isn't the only thing needed in order to be successful in a tournament like this. Back in Episode 123 we saw Goku almost eliminate Jiren by using a strategy that Krillin used during their fight in the recruitment arc. I am talking about that Destructo Disc move.

Even if the anime does end there is a possibility that the manga will continue after the Tournament of Power. Someone asked Toyotarou (The manga artist) about this and he didn't give a definite answer. That led some to believe that he might continue on after the tournament.

Naruto no Kitsune
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

I thought the Super Dragon Balls were only scattered throughout Universes 6 and 7. That is at least what Zuno-sama (the alien who knows like everything) said. Beerus got angry at Champa once he learned Champa was sneaking into his universe to collect them. I guess it could have just been a coincidence that they were in those two universes at the time, meaning perhaps they can scatter out to the other universes once the wish is granted.

You know I never did learn how to put the title of the person in the quote...

You may be right, I assumed that they were scattered through all the universes. Just checked and yes you are right. So they will probably all stay in Universe 7.

I also did consider the fact that knocking Buu out of bounds would have been enough to defeat him. Heh, I wonder how broken he would be if he absorbed Jiren. Maybe that could be a strategy, let Buu absorb some members of Universe 7 to get even stronger...but no way anyone would agree to that, plus it would carry the same weakness of the Potara earrings, one knockout and you lose multiple fighters. But still a good temporary strategy.

I do enjoy that Krillin and Tien were brought in. My first episode of Dragon Ball Z as right before the episode when Gohan kicked Dodoria in the face and flew off with Dende. lol, it blew my mind, I wasn't expecting a kid to do that. I started watching all the time after that and didn't realize Krillin wasn't a kid until the series reran after the Ginyu force arrived. Hehe, Nappa called him a midget and I was like WHAT?! He's a grown man! I was still genuinely shocked when all those Z fighters died. Good times...

I really did enjoy Goku's attempt to knock Jiren out of bounds. Was very smart of him. He should have kept it up though and blasted some of the debris to prevent possible foot holds.

And I really hope that's the case with the manga. I'd rather wait for future seasons than have Super turn into Naruto with 85 episodes in a row of pointless filler. Or nearly as bad, Bleach with 2 whole seasons dedicated to the Bount arc... Seriously take a break Super!

Which do you prefer so far (not counting T.O.P.), the anime or the manga?

Been playing FighterZ and it's awesome!
Edited by Naruto no Kitsune, Feb 1 2018, 08:31 PM.

Mangekyou Sharingan
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Naruto no Kitsune

You know I never did learn how to put the title of the person in the quote...
I private messaged you showing you how to do it.

Naruto no Kitsune

Heh, I wonder how broken he would be if he absorbed Jiren.
Since this is Jiren we are talking about he'd probably blow the pieces of Buu off of himself before that could happen to him. Jiren is a beast.

Naruto no Kitsune

Which do you prefer so far (not counting T.O.P.), the anime or the manga?
I really enjoy both the anime and the manga. I like comparing the differences between the two. I suppose one good thing about the manga is that you don't have to deal with the filler moments that the anime has. For example the Planet Potofu/Superhuman Water episodes. With that said some of the filler episodes (Like the baseball episode) can be real fun.

Goku and Vegeta (After Vegeta hits Yamcha with the pitch): What? You're not supposed to hit them?!

One big difference I did notice between the anime and manga is how fast the manga flew by the recruitment process for the Tournament of Power. The anime dedicated like over ten episodes to it.

I think I might have slightly enjoyed the manga version of the Goku Black arc over the anime version. In the manga Trunks, Goku and Vegeta only escaped back to the past to regroup after fighting Goku Black and Zamasu one time while in the anime they went back twice. I wasn't a big fan of Trunks using that spirit bomb sword to cut fused Zamasu in half and afterwards I think I preferred Zamasu multiplying himself (Manga) rather than merging with the universe (Anime). I also liked seeing Goku use the Mafuba on Zamasu (Manga) over Trunks using it (Anime). Last but not least it was cool to see Super Saiyan God Vegeta in the manga.

How about you? Anime or manga? Do you prefer one over the other?

In my last post I forgot to ask you something. Why do you want the Saiyan's tails to make a comeback? Want to see Super Saiyan 4?

Naruto no Kitsune
Member Avatar
Jounin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Mangekyou Sharingan

Since this is Jiren we are talking about he'd probably blow the pieces of Buu off of himself before that could happen to him. Jiren is a beast.

Hehe, he certainly is! I really enjoyed that fight between him and Goku. It kind of reminded me about Goku vs Toppo from the manga only much more one-sided. It's kind of scary how powerful Jiren is. He's much more than 400 (Super Saiyan 3) times more powerful than Goku's base form. That's just his standard power with no transformation. Goku's been training his whole life but his base form couldn't even hope to scratch Jiren. Beerus certainly wasn't lying when he said there were beings out there stronger than them.

Hehe, I do agree, Dragon Ball filler is generally very enjoyable. Like when Goku and Piccolo tried to get their driver's licenses...hehehe, I haven't seen that episode in years but I still remember it perfectly. ...Naruto filler, I remember for less than stellar reasons, lol. Copy Vegeta's power surprised me, he was able to fend of Super Saiyan 3 Gotenks without even transforming. I hope we get a new Z fighter soon. Majin Buu is the latest but he's been largely useless lately and Goten and Trunks are too underused. Goku, bring Hit to Universe 7!!!

Mangekyou Sharingan

One big difference I did notice between the anime and manga is how fast the manga flew by the recruitment process for the Tournament of Power. The anime dedicated like over ten episodes to it.

Yeah, that was a missed opportunity. I did enjoy the brawl between the gods though. I wish Zeno would have made the tournament like a year away or something so we'd have time for another arc which would hopefully include at least a few of the other universes. Jackie Chun, Tien Shin Han, and Piccolo were built up heavily during their respective tournament arcs so it would have been great to see some of that here in Super.

Inifite Zamasu was pretty awesome, I read that and I was like...Goku and Vegeta are royally screwed, lol. I didn't really mind the Deus ex Machina of calling Zeno because Trunks' world was a lost cause anyway since all humans (save for Mai) were killed in the manga. In both cases though, Trunks lost EVERYTHING but I wish instead of leaving they would have tried to restore what he lost. I did enjoy the Battle of Gods saga in the manga, but I prefer the movie over all of that. Also, the same for Revival of Frieza.

As for Goku's tail, I was re-watching Dragon Ball with my sister and I just missed how the tail made Goku special. It was his defining trait that made him physically different from the rest cast. I also enjoyed seeing the shadow of his Great Ape form whenever he was obtaining power and it seems like its all gone now. It's kind of like taking away Naruto's whiskers. Hehe, my friend Matt is obsessed with Super Saiyan 4.

You know, I woulnd't mind Cabba, Kale, and Caulifla obtaining so much power so quickly if Akira Toriyama had said something like this. "Saiyans from universe 6 were born without tails and thus lack the ability to multiply their power by 10 using Great Ape form seen in Universe 7, instead they have evolved to obain such power by...) you know, just any kind of b.s. excuse to explain their talent. Gohan had many times when he could have become a super saiyan didn't (his dad's death, Piccolo's death, Dende's death, seeing his dad's energy get drained, etc.) and Vegeta attempted to do it his entire life (despite losing his father to Frieza's hand and being on the verge of death multiple times, he wasn't able to do it until late into his adult life) but these 3 can do it from a "tingly feeling"? (lol, shhh don't bring up Goten and Trunks).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Anime and Manga · Next Topic »
Add Reply